Disclosure: Thank you for reading our reviews! Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these links. Additionally, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If there’s one thing that’s true about oysters (apart from their delicious taste), it’s that they have incredibly difficult shells to open.
It takes a certain level of skill to get that oyster shucking knife into the shell, and even more skill to stop it from sliding and accidentally stabbing you in the hand.
That isn’t the only danger involved with shucking oysters, though. The shells themselves can have extremely sharp edges. So, even if you’ve managed to prise the oyster open, there’s a chance you could slice yourself with the shell.
Luckily, both of these painful situations can be avoided simply by wearing a pair of oyster shucking gloves. These will keep your hands safe while still allowing you to work with enough agility to get your oyster open.
However, with so many options to choose from, finding the perfect pair of oyster shucking gloves can become a confusing task. So, to make things easier, we’ve done the hard work for you!
Below, you’ll find our choice of the best oyster shucking gloves available. We’ve also put together a super useful buyer’s guide that’s packed with information on what to look out for when you’re making your choice.
OUR TOP PICK
Let’s kick things off by taking a look at our top pick. These Cut Resistant Gloves from NoCry are 4x stronger than leather and made from the highest-quality cut resistant materials available.
This includes ultra-high molecular polyethylene, nylon, polyester, glass fiber, and spandex.
All of this adds up to create a “Level 5 Cut Resistance”, which is perfect when you’re working with something that may cause your knife to slip. This is the highest level of resistance you’ll find in a pair of oyster shucking gloves.
They also carry an EN388 rating in line with International Health & Safety Standards.
These 100% food-safe gloves have an ambidextrous design, so they can be used by both right-handed and left-handed people. They are also available in four different sizes, allowing you to find that perfect fit.
Another fantastic thing about these oyster shucking gloves is that they are machine washable.
This means that you’ll be able to keep them clean and fresh with ease, and there’s no chance of bad odors or bacteria building up on them over time.
- 4x stronger than leather - made from ultra-high molecular polyethylene, nylon, polyester, glass fiber, and spandex
- Level 5 cut resistance - the highest level of cut resistance available
- 100% food safe - can be used for all foods including seafood, meat, and dairy
- Ambidextrous design - fits both right and left-handed people comfortably
- Machine washable - easy and convenient to clean
- May be smaller than you think - these gloves come in four different sizes, however, it’s important to pay attention to the size guide as some people found them to be slightly smaller than they thought they’d be
These Cut Resistant Gloves from Dowelife are made using a special, high-elastic, blended nylon.
This means that they are able to fit your hands perfectly, allowing you to work with dexterity and ensuring you’re comfortable even if you’re wearing them for a long time.
Their level 5 cut resistance and EN388 rating mean that your hands are protected at all times while you’re working with a sharp knife. They’re also 10x stronger than regular gloves, so you can rest assured that your hands will be protected while you work.
Keeping these cut resistant gloves is easy, too. They can either be hand washed or, for ultimate convenience, they can be put straight into the washing machine. Once they’re clean, simply hang them up and they’ll be dry in a short amount of time.
These oyster shucking gloves are available in four different sizes (small, medium, large, and extra-large) and can be purchased in a pack of two. Whichever size you need, they weigh only 2-ounces, so there’s no need to worry about them weighing you down while you work.
- Made from special, high-elastic nylon - keeps your hands protected from sharp objects while still allowing you to work with dexterity
- Level 5 cut resistance - the highest level of resistance you’ll find in a pair of cut resistant gloves
- Easy to clean - can either be hand washed or put straight in the washing machine for ultimate convenience
- Available in four sizes - choose from small, medium, large, or extra-large
- Can be purchased as a pack of two - perfect for restaurants with multiple chefs, or simply as a backup pair
- May snag when used with a mandolin - some people found that these gloves snagged a little when caught on the blade of a mandolin, however, their hands were still kept protected
Wearing any type of gloves for a long period of time can make your hands sweaty.
However, thanks to the premium material used to make these Stark Safe Cut Resistant Gloves, this isn’t something that you need to worry about.
They are highly breathable, but will still keep your hands protected from sharp knives and blades while you work.
These gloves have a level 5 cut resistance, which is the highest you’ll find in any cut resistant gloves.
They are also 4x stronger than leather gloves, but they aren’t nearly as cumbersome. This means that you’ll be able to work with the dexterity you need when you’re shucking oysters.
They are incredibly easy to clean as well, and can simply be thrown into your washing machine when you’re finished with them.
This keeps them fresh for next time and also means that you can give them a more thorough cleaning than you’d be able to manage when washing them by hand.
These oyster shucking gloves carry an EN388 rating, so they meet the highest standards outlined by International Health & Safety Regulations.
They are also available in four sizes and can be purchased in packs of one or two.
- Made from breathable materials - stops your hands from getting sweaty even when you’re wearing them for a long period of time
- EN388 rating & level 5 cut resistance - meet the highest standards outlined by International Health & Safety Regulations
- Machine washable - gives you the ability to give them a thorough, sterile cleaning after use
- Stronger than leather - keeps your hands protected without reducing your dexterity
- Available in four sizes - find the perfect fit with a choice of small, medium, large, and extra-large sizes
- Take a while to dry - although these gloves offer you the convenience of being washing machine safe, they can take a while to dry after cleaning
If you need multiple pairs of oyster shucking gloves but you’re working with a limited budget, this Pack of 2 Cut Resistant Gloves from YINENN makes a great choice.
They cost around the same amount of money as a single pair, but you get two pairs instead! Most importantly, however, they don’t lack anything in terms of quality and performance.
To begin with, they carry an EN388 rating and have level 5 cut resistance. This means that they’ll keep your hands protected while you work and they meet International Health & Safety Regulations.
They are also made from the highest quality materials that ensure you’re comfortable and able to work with dexterity.
This is incredibly important when you’re doing something as fiddly as shucking oysters! And, when it comes to cleaning these cut resistant gloves, it’s a simple case of throwing them straight into your washing machine.
You can also choose from six different sizes, from XXS all the way up to extra large.
This is a lot more variety than you’ll usually find when looking at cut resistant gloves, so they are a perfect choice if you’re concerned about sizing.
- Pack of two cut resistant gloves - offers you more value for money and is the perfect choice for restaurants with multiple chefs
- Level 5 cut resistance & EN388 rating - meets International Health & Safety Regulations and is the highest level of cut resistance available
- Strong, lightweight, and comfortable - keep your hands protected while still allowing you to work with maximum dexterity
- Machine washable - easy to clean and sterilize after use
- Available in six sizes - ranging from XXS to XL; perfect for anybody concerned about getting their size correct
- Can stain easily - this is unlikely when you’re working with oysters, however, if you’re cutting something with a strong color (such as beets or turmeric) these gloves can be prone to staining
If you’re after the most value for money, this Rockland Guard Oyster Shucking Set is definitely worth considering.
Not only does it consist of a pair of oyster shucking gloves, but it comes complete with an oyster shucking knife! This also makes it a perfect gift for any oyster lover.
The gloves have an EN388 rating and a level 5 cut resistance. They are also made from the highest quality, cut resistant materials available, but they still give you the flexibility you need when you’re shucking oysters.
The oyster shucking knife included in this set measures 3.5” and is the perfect size for gently sliding into the hinge of an oyster.
Its stainless steel construction makes it incredibly durable, so it’s also perfect for prising the shell open without the knife breaking. It has a non-slip handle as well which minimizes the risk of it slipping out of your hands while you work.
Cleaning both the knife and the gloves is incredibly easy. The knife is dishwasher safe and the gloves can be put straight into the washing machine when you’re done.
You also have the choice of four different gloves sizes and, to top it all off, the entire set comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Complete oyster shucking set - includes a pair of oyster shucking gloves and an oyster shucking knife
- Cut resistant gloves - the gloves have an EN388 rating and a level 5 cut resistance
- Strong but flexible - the gloves allow you to work with dexterity without sacrificing strength
- Stainless steel knife - measures 3.5” long and is strong enough to prise open an oyster without breaking
- Easy to clean - the gloves are machine washable and the knife is dishwasher safe
- Gloves aren’t waterproof - your hands may get wet when handling oysters, but the gloves still retain excellent grip
Best Oyster Shucking Gloves Buying Guide
There are a few things you need to think about when it comes to finding the perfect pair of oyster shucking gloves.
Sure, they need to keep your hands protected from the knife while you work. But how easy are they to clean? And how can you be certain that they’ll fit you properly?
Below, we’ll take a look at a few key points you need to keep in mind when you’re making your decision.
Taking a little extra time to do this will help you save time and money, and make sure that you find the best oyster shucking gloves for your needs the first time around.
The first, and most important thing you need to look at is what material your oyster shucking gloves are made from.
They need to be strong enough to keep your hand protected from a sharp blade, but lightweight enough to allow you to work with dexterity.
Look for materials such as ultra-high molecular polyethylene, nylon, polyester, glass fiber, and spandex (or a combination of these). Each of these materials has been engineered to be incredibly strong without being cumbersome.
They are breathable, too. This means that you’ll be able to work for a longer period of time without your hands getting overly sweaty. This is particularly important if you’re working in a hot, busy kitchen.
Level 5 Cut Resistance
One thing that you’ll notice from each of our choices above is that they all have a “Level 5 Cut Resistance”. But what does this actually mean?
Cut resistance is measured by placing different weights on a blade and seeing how far into the glove the blade goes before it could potentially pierce the skin. Level 5 cut resistance is the highest level of resistance available.
This is an incredibly important thing to look for when you’re buying oyster shucking gloves as there is a greater risk of the knife slipping while you try to penetrate the shell.
If you’re wearing gloves with a level 5 cut resistance, your hands are kept well protected from the blade if this happens.
All of our choices also have an EN388 rating. This is the highest rating possible and meets the strict requirements set out by the International Health & Safety Regulations.
So, put simply, if you’ve got a pair of oyster shucking gloves with an EN388 rating, you can rest assured that your hands will be safe while you work.
As with all clothing and accessories, sizing can vary between brands so it’s important to make sure you find the right size of oyster shucking gloves for your hands. This is easy to do by simply checking the size guide you’ll find alongside the listing.
This is important as it will help make sure you’re comfortable while you work, but there’s more to it than just comfort.
If your gloves are too big, they’ll slide around your hands while you’re shucking oysters. When this happens, you’re at a higher risk of the knife slipping.
So, check the size before you buy to get it right. And, if you find that the gloves don’t fit perfectly when they arrive, send them straight back for a different size.
Between seawater and shell splinters, shucking oysters can be a messy business! For this reason, it’s important to make sure that your oyster shucking gloves are easy to clean.
This doesn’t only stop them from smelling foul over time but means that there isn’t any bacterial build-up that could potentially cause food poisoning.
The easiest way to clean oyster shucking gloves is in the washing machine, so it’s always a good idea to choose a pair that are washing machine safe.
This also means that you’re able to sterilize them and give them a much more thorough cleaning than you would if you were to wash them by hand.
Price & Warranty
Finally, it’s worth setting yourself a budget and trying to stick to it as much as possible when you’re buying oyster shucking gloves.
The price between brands doesn’t fluctuate too much, but you may find that you’re able to save yourself a few dollars by looking at the features rather than being drawn in by a brand name.
It’s also a good idea to look at the sort of warranty that your gloves come with.
Some have lifetime warranties which give you ultimate peace of mind that you’ll be able to replace them if something goes wrong.
The longer a warranty is, the more faith you can have in the quality of the product as well.
Best Oyster Shucking Gloves - FAQ's
What are oyster shucking gloves?
Oyster shucking gloves are gloves that are made from cut resistant materials. They are designed to keep your hands protected from the blade of a knife that might slip out of place, as well as the sharp edges of an oyster shell.